- Shoe-fit is critically important for reducing injury risk.
- Stretching the calf muscles daily often resolves aches and pains, and Katriona believes that through stretching the calf muscle complex regularly you can even prevent injuries.
Running shoe advice:
Podiatric Management would highly recommend that:
- your running shoe should be at least 1cm bigger than your foot. Shoe sizes vary tremendously between brands and therefore you should have at least a thumb’s gap between the longest toe and the end of the shoe.
- changing your running shoes every 400 miles/650km.
- if you run more than 3 times a week, you should alternate two sets of identical shoes. Alternating your shoes allows the material to rest and will not compress as quickly if you run in only the same pair.